Monday 7 October 2013

Traveling Star




I saw Scott playing his guitar in an alley way next to the LCBO in uptown Waterloo. He played with his heart and soul in the music and showed so much emotion.
"When did you learn to play?" I asked him.
"When I was sixteen. I never had one lesson but I'd listen to my favourite musicians play and once I earned enough money to buy myself a guitar, I taught myself. I'd search the chords and lyrics on the Internet and eventually got to playing in front of a live audience." 
"Where have you played?" 
"Lots of places. I love to travel and learn different styles and cultures of music, I was recently in Montreal playing in a music festival and last month I played at a frosh week festival at the university of Guelph." 
He strummed a couple of chords then added, "Do you play?"
"I wish!" 
"It's easy, do what I did and maybe you'll get somewhere, you're never too old to learn how to play."
He talked about life on the move, never having a permanent home and struggling as a young musician. He'd sleep on the floors of his friends apartments most nights and casually play to earn some cash to get around. He inspired me to keep writing and do what I love. Though it may seem like  Scott didn't have much going for him, I found him to be the most intelligent person I've ever met, he showed such passion in what he did, and the music was absolutely outstanding. :) 

2 comments:

  1. He sounds very inspiring, never give up on something you love. Hopefully he becomes successful one day. Good questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is really passionate about music, this really inspires me. I think it's inspiring when anyone gets up and resolves in their mind what they want to do and have a love for it! I hope Scott gets to tour the world some day! I really do!

    ReplyDelete