Sunday 6 October 2013

Martin Dobrovsky

Andy Fischer (left) & Robin Shepard (right) Speaking of old friend at 50th dinner party

 Family friends Robin and Andy were over for dinner the other night and told a story about a man they went to high school with named Marty who recently passed away after living on the streets for over twenty-five years. Andy (on the left) went to KCI with him all throughout high school. 
"Marty was one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. His parents were so sweet. Living on the streets wasn't something Marty was forced into,  it was more of a life choice he made for himself." 
He was a normal kid who hung around with people just like Andy. When he was in his mid-twenties he developed schizophrenia. His relatives tried very hard to get him to move back into the house at this point; he refused. Up until a year ago, whenever Robin (on the right) would see Marty, he'd take him out for lunch and afterward give him a twenty dollar bill. 
"How did you know he wasn't just going to spend the money on booze?" I asked him.
"Oh, I'd see him walk straight into the LCBO immediately after I gave him the money, I knew he was spending it on booze, but I figured when you're living on the streets, you might need a drink."
"How did he die?" 
"He died of some disease he caught living on the streets, he got very sick and didn't seek help, I assume the death was preventable by medication but Marty never wanted help." Said Andy.

           I, myself remember seeing Marty around downtown Kitchener years ago. He had a long dark beard and his skin was always black with dirt. Despite his appearance and the choices he made, Marty was a great man, and from what everyone had told me about him, he had a huge heart and was greatly loved by all. 
Let's hope he's in a better place now. 


2 comments:

  1. This is so touching! From what I've learned volunteering and stuff, I know a lot of people on the streets become so dependent on themselves (with good reason) that they don't trust others and so they often don't get the help they need. It's so sad! Thanks for sharing this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I hope his parents and other relatives are doing better. It's really sad how just one illness can cause so much and result in a death. Life changes so fast. But well done.

    ReplyDelete